Almost 97% percent of Pakistani population practice Islam, while Christians, Hindus, and members of other religions account for the remaining 3 percent of the population. The five pillars of Islam consist of certain beliefs and acts to which a Muslim must adhere to affirm membership in the community.
The first is shahada (testimony), the affirmation of the faith, which succinctly states the central belief of Islam: “There is no god but God (Allah), and Muhammad is his Prophet.”. Second is salat, the obligation for a Muslim to pray at five set times during the day.
The third pillar of Islam is zakat, the obligation to provide alms for the poor and disadvantaged. The fourth is sawm, the obligation to fast from sunrise to sunset during the holy month of Ramadan, and the final pillar is the expectation that every adult Muslim physically and financially able to do so perform hajj, the pilgrimage to Mecca, at least once in his or her lifetime.